Tuesday, June 10, 2008

June 10, 2008

Well I made it to Peru! Sorry for the delay, apparently this volunteer position is kinda time consuming. Well I would like to start this post by thanking my fellow tax payers for the amazing $800/night hotel we stayed two nights in at the beginning of our journey...quite incredible I must say. Unfortunatly it did not do justice for helping our migration to developing Peru. Today was our second official day of training. There are 38 of us total business development and youth development volunteers in this wonderful country. I am a little disappointed in the lack of crazy hippies but I guess we have been titled ¨professional hippies¨-- a true oxymoron. Anywho, some highlights so far include our fellow volunteer, Glenn, being spit on by a llama wondering in the street. classic. My lowlight of the trip so far would be fainting after a rabbies shot (and I still have four more!). It is really a different world down here, that is one thing I can say. Oh, and something to look foward to is that 99.9% of volunteers in peru get diharreah (sp?) ..so i can´t wait! But anywho, I am living with a host family that is AWESOME! I have a 21 year old sister (soon to be my best friend of course!) and 12 and 7 yr old brothers. The parents are great as well, I couldn´t be happier (well...of course a hot shower would be nice...but lets be realistic...) As far as ginnea pigs go, I haven´t eaten one yet, but that is sure to change soon! I feel like I am back in school, we go to classes from 8am to 5pm everyday...4 hrs of language classes and the rest helping with culture immersion and business in peru. This is going to be a wild trip....thats about all I can say for now. More stories to come! Much love, I MISS EVERYONE!!!! I love you all dearly!! Can´t wait to hear from ya, keep in touch. Love
Kelly

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Woo! First Comment!

That sounds incredible Kelly! Are you in Lima? I still can't believe you are actually in Peru. Hopefully it's a little cooler there, it's topping out at about 105 each day here in sunny old Charleston but that's how it goes. What other kind of courses are you taking other than language?

Hope you're having fun, miss you!

-Gray

Unknown said...

You mean diarrhea Kel? LOL. I am glad you are having a blast so far! Be safe! xoxox miss you-shanny