Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The outskirts of Lima

Dear my loyal readers,
Wow, where am I? Sometimes I lay in my bed thinking, what am I doing here? Other times I feel that I am sitting on top of the world. From what I am told the next two years consist of a roller coaster of highs and lows. Most of my experiences in the last 12 days here have been highs, I can’t really complain. The lows are just a matter of getting used to really. The hardest struggle thus far is living in the past, in every sense of the word. The way of life here is comparable to how I imagine the states before I was born. Also, I absolutely love my family here, but I truly miss the independence I had in the wonderful US of A. Here, I have a curfew and feel obligated to ask permission to go anywhere. Even when mom left the house for an hour, I was told not to go down the stairs, incase I were to fall and hurt myself or die while she was gone. Wow. Different, huh? Well, she doesn’t know this, but I went both down and back up the stairs! REBEL! Ha, okay, that is my week’s worth of venting. Now the good stuff, the people here are GREAT! Everyday we have 4 hours of Spanish class, then 4 hours of Peruvian business classes. Each night is followed with homework, as if I didn’t do enough in college. Over the weekend we celebrated my host mom’s b-day and father’s day! Talk about a different tradition here for father’s day: apparently, it is common to go to the cemetery (where both overcrowded and loud are understatements) and pour beer on the deceased graves’, as if they were drinking here and apart of the fiesta. Incredible. Hmmm…I love potatoes and rice…but not for every meal of the day. NO MORE CARBS!! Ha, and this is only day 12…No but seriously, I am happy here. Crazy busy, and learning a lot. PS let me holler a shout out to my loved ones whose b-days’ I missed: mommy mooshkey, Scotty boy (best bro bro ever!), cousey Charles, Gabberz (miss u roomie!), Court (Love ya!) and all those that I will probably miss within the next 27 months. I miss you all dearly, and love you so much! As always, keep in touch, and remember I am only an email away! LOVE YOU!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly!! I miss you miss you! I was just reading your blog and of course fell across the word diarrhea... now you will know what my life is like!! hahaha.. good to hear you are enjoying yourself.. the place sounds crazy and beautiful. Here are updates on my wedding plans: It's going to be next July 4th weekend 2009 up at Torch Lake, MI. Maddy and Liz are my maids of honor, my friend Lauren from HS and my sis are my bridesmaids. My plan is to have the colors be a mix of purple, blue and pink :) Rusty and I are heading up to Mich in July to look at venues etc.. Besides that I quit my job and am just being a total bum until we move! I miss you so much and hope to hear from you soon. Love you!!!!!!!!

CLWNbaby said...

Kelly, sorry no posts sooner but it is good to see you are doing well. I can imagine that it is going to be quite the adjustment. Peru sounds a lot like Florence...okay maybe not at all but they are both differnt from Columbia-right? I think you are inspiring some people here which is really cool. Keep up the good work and keep feeding us cool stories!
Take Care,
Erich
Oh p.s. I got worked bigtime in Humongous on the Upper Ocoee today. I ended up swimming, recircing, and finally flushing. I finally did the bootie shot! One Milwaukee's Beast from Don's bootie!

Anonymous said...

that is so bad ass about fathers day, and that made me think, when u get home ill be 22 and we can go to the bar!! me and rob kayaker got gabby to roll acouple times before she left for wyoming, i lived at ur apartment for about a week while i got my car fixed and hung out in columbia, and got to keep abunch of stuff from the apartment like the david beckham poster gabby was gonna throw out! i ended up giving it to matts sister lol but then she said it dissapeared lol i think matt has it.i cant wait for fall to come so i can get some paint and christen our rafts the kelly and the gabby! and when i do ill deffinetly send you a pic
much love
ill keep gray in line
snuggle nipples

Unknown said...

ahh kel i miss you so so much. everything sounds amazing and it's so wonderful to hear you're doing well. You are truly an inspiring person and we are all so lucky to know you =) Miss and love x 123192038!!!!!