Wednesday, May 28, 2008

First post

Well here it is, my first blog! Today is Wed., May 28, and in exactly 7 days I will be beginning my adventure 'into the wild,' working as a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) in Peru. There are various reasons why I have chosen to take this path in my life. Most importantly, I believe that my life is at a turning point, although to what I am uncertain yet still. As the old PC logo states, Peace Corps is "the hardest job you will ever love." I am ready to let myself experience what life is, learn from different cultures and share my knowledge with others as they open my eyes into their beautiful world. My job title I withhold for the next 27 months is 'Small Business Promoter.' What the description entails may or maynot be anything like the experience I will pursue but to give an idea, it describes the job as helping local people (may be in very rural areas of Peru) develop and/or organize more funtional businesses. For example, I may be helping artisans and farmers start companies and trades. Whether this is or is not what I will truly be doing is irrelevent, I am confident I will find my way, and will try my best to keep my mind and heart open and judgements out. I feel that I am ready.

Fortunaly, I found out very late that I will be leaving so soon. This is fortunate I have come to decide because I have no time to freak out. What will I pack?? I don't know, anything that I don't have to shop for. I submitted the PC online application Dec. 31st of '07, and found out April 23rd that I will leave June 4th for my service! All I know is that Peru is an AMAZING country, and I am so excited/nervous/every feeling one could imagine.

I am here in Panama, visiting my mother. This country is amazing, I can only hope Peru can compare :) I will be in Cleveland for my last 5 days of sanity before my adventure begins. Hope to see most of my family and friends on a going away party, Saturday. So excited!

Service Dates: June 4th, 2008 - Aug. 22, 2010
Job title: Peace Corps Volunteer; Small Business Promoter

10 comments:

Kat Perez said...

Wow. everything was so sudden for you!!!

Hey, I'm a leo, too!!! see ya tomorrow.

drock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
drock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
drock said...

Ah... stupid browser keeps deleting stuff...sigh

Anyway...glad to see this all working out for you so far. Looks exciting, maybe Katie and I can make our way down there someday! I'm keeping something similar about my adventures during the WSOP in Vegas all summer (not on blogspot though). Haha, dont think it will be quite as enlightening and inspiring as this, but it should be fun anyway! Have fun, I know you will.

-This is Derek P btw

Luca said...

Hola Kelly....
que xopa?

hope you have a bast in Peru' , i'll just send you off with a big big hug
Luca

Unknown said...

Kelly...I am so excited for you to be going on this wonderful adventure to Peru for so long! Please be careful and I will read your blog to see how you are doing (p.s. it looks great!). Enjoy every minute of your adventure...I know that you will!

Love you tons,
Julia

Chayla said...

Kelly,
All I have to say is good for you! You've come such a long way since the kelly belly boo I first remember; I'm so happy, proud, and excited for you I know you'll be great at whatever you take on. I hope it's everything you want it to be and you'll always be in my mind and heart. I'm sorry I couldn't make it to your going away party but you know I love you and wish you all the best. See you in 2010. Have a blast!
Much love, hugs, and many kisses,
Chay

Adam said...

kii --

i told you i'd get on this soon enough -- as said once before, all the best, mucho amor, and you're the shit. be sure to keep in touch!

di

Anonymous said...

what an adventure! I'm so excited for you.

dcccleveland said...

Hi Kelly,

Glad you made it safe and sound. Your car was sold yesterday. The proceeds wil be in your bank account. Did you get the package I sent on Monday the 9th? Today is Scott's B-day wish him well. I will be reading your blog and staying up on your adventures. Stay close to a bathroom. We miss and love you.

Love,
Dad