Monday, July 21, 2008

Fun Times and Good pics

Fun times before FBT
Callahuanca
So I have realized I haven’t posted many pics, and have just been writing too much. Don’t you kids worry, cuz this is about to change. So I mentioned before I took a field trip to Callahuanca to see a trout farm, and see how business works in mountain areas. It was amazing, and heres some pics to show for it! And a group shot:
This makes me want to be live in the mountains so badly! I can’t wait to learn where my site is! Also, here’s a trout farm we learned about:


Also, there are incredible Incan ruins and carvings at this site. The rock formations were stunning, and you can also see how big my heart is.

















Take a look at the rock formations! Can you see a dog?













So this town was incredible, I am excited for site!



Lima
I mentioned that I am about an hour and a half from Lima, (really no more than 30min in taxi w/o traffic, but that’s just unrealistic and expensive). So, you are probably thinking what is Lima like? Its big, bad, beautiful and crazy:





























So, these are the nicest pictures of Lima. The city itself is pretty dangerous. The higher touristy areas are defiantly safer, but theft is a problem, and one must always be aware of their surroundings. As I may have mentioned before, right outside of Lima, almost every Saturday, we attend an agriculture institute where we are learning how to farm and grow sustainable agriculture. Here are some pics from this learning adventure:


















Maybe they just want us to do their dirty work. Just kidding, its been a lot of fun.



Training and home:

My host family loves me dearly, and I love them too J I know I’ve mentioned they are overprotective, but that’s just how it is here. I believe I mentioned before I made my family pancakes one day which is defiantly is picture worthy for those of you that have lived with me and know my (lack of) cooking skills…:


Needless to say, my host family loved the banana pancakes dripped in honey! The good cooking doesn’t end there. Of the 38 volunteers in training in Peru right now, 9 of us live in Huascaran (pictured in a previous post). The other trainees live in nearby neighbourhoods. The Huascaran-ers (pronounced West-Koran-ers) decided to unite together and make our host families burritos one Sunday. What a success!! All the families showed up, and each voulunteer brought a different ingredient or cooked goodness to the table. It was quite a hit, and heres some pics to prove it:


Upon popular belief, most Peruvians have never eaten burritos! Below is a picture of the nine of us and our families which showed up to our big lunch bash!


Huascaran neighbourhood Volunteers!





1 comment:

dcccleveland said...

Happy Birthday Kelly... you have another package and we will call you tonight. We have a new addtion to the house. Little kitty which we have not given a name to yet. Send in your ideas. We miss you and love reading your blog. The pictures are fantastic. How is sweater dog doing these days? Keep helping the wonderful people of Peru. Much love, Dad